Tuesday, July 10, 2007

It's that simple!

Have you ever struggled with the same sin over and over? I am sure that anyone who reads this will have to answer yes. It is so frustrating to me when I find myself dealing with the same issues over and over. The Lord has recently reminded me of how powerful His word is and that I must have it on my heart at all times if I am to have any victories!
I have been struggling with making the most of my time; it is so easy to turn the tv on when Nate is at work and I'm alone at night and just relax on the couch. Every morning I would determine that I would not turn the tv on when Noah went down for the night and it seemed that every night I would have to confess to God that I had wasted my time. I just recently put two verses on note cards and taped them to our tv. The first is I John 5:21 "Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God's place in your hearts." and the second is Psalm 119:37 "Turn my eyes away from worthless things, preserve my life according to your Word." If I want to turn the tv on I have to remove those verses and make the decision to disobey God. I have found that I have kept the tv off! God's word is my sword and it does kill sin! I am so thankful that God is patient with me!

10 comments:

S said...

I can definitely relate! Sometimes the late nights are easily passed by wasted time and for me it was noise to cover up the quiet. :) Now, with Esther being more active in the day, I long for the quiet at night, but have to be careful not to waste time on the computer. :) I know I could never get cable, because I would never turn the tv off! Thanks for being transparent and sharing how God's Word is working in your life.

Tracy said...

I understand completely. About a year and a half ago we disconnected our TV from the antenea (sp???) so we don't get any connection and only use it for videos. Up until that time I found myself wasting time after the kids were sleeping just vegging and filling my mind with shows that promoted sinful lifestyles. I had never thought about the verses -- maybe I should do that to the computer . . .

Nate, Kris, Adrianna and Natalie said...

It's nice to know other moms struggle with this sin too!!! Nate and I haven't had a tv since we moved to MI, and there have been many times that I have wanted one, especially in the evenings if Nate is gone. But my wise husband really feels that it's best for us not to have one right now, and I'm so thankful for that. I find myself actually doing profitable things in the evening. Now I'm asking the Lord to help me do eternal things instead of just profitable things. By the way, aren't Little People great??? Adrianna doesn't have many, but I think she asked for them for her birthday tomorrow. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello my dear daughter in law! Your words are so true! I am amazed at the time that flies by when I foolishly choose to sit in front of the TV. The verses are such a great idea, you face them each day and commit them to your heart and mind as you seek to obey God. Thanks for the good wisdome!
Love, Mom

Dawn said...

It is encouraging to know that I am not the only person who faces this battle! Thanks for all of the comments!

S said...

hey- i wanted to let you know that the one i found with the most deals was the one on battlefield just past wal-mart on the left hand side by food lion, etc. hope it helps! get there soon, because they said today they're already starting to pull stuff from the shelves.

Nate Mihelis said...

Well done babe, you ought to post substantive posts more often :-)

Becky Gravley said...

hey, dawn! i've been keeping up with you through your blog. we miss everyone there terribly! i just wanted to thank you for your influence in my life personally. i was not surprised when i read that you used verses to combat sin in your life. when i remember you, i am always reminded of that...you use scripture to fight temptation. we talked about it on a number of occasions (especially when you were unhappy at work a few years back). thanks for your testimony and your creativity at finding the "way to escape." (I Corinthians 10:13) You are a blessing to me.
love,
becky

Becky Gravley said...

dawn,
i saw your comment on kris birkholz' post and i wanted to tell you (even though you didn't ask ME!) that for sam's one year birthday my brother and sister in law got him a leap frog fridge farm (about 15 bucks from walmart or target). he has loved that thing for a year and a half now. we've never changed the batteries! he plays with it all the time. thought it might be an option for you. love, becky

Dawn said...

Thanks Becky!!! I will have to look into that; we did get him a fridge alphabet "thing" and Noah plays with it while I cook dinner.
It is great to hear from you!!