Tuesday, November 07, 2006

For everyone who worries!

This is my first attempt at posting something other then pictures so please be patient. I am not the best writer but Nate has encouraged me many times that the only way to get better at writing is to practice. So here goes nothing :-) Recently I have been asking myself a few questions as I read my bible such as: what have I learned about God, what have I learned about myself and what commands am I to obey. So, when I came to Philippians chapter four verses 6 & 7 I was reminded of a command that I am to obey and a promise regarding God. The command to obey is in verse six "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your requests to God." This verse hits home for me since I am a person that finds many things to be anxious about; in fact Nate has told me on several different occasions that I "like" to find something to worry about. It is not that I truly enjoy the twist I get in my stomach when I think of something that I have no control over so why do I put myself through this so often? I believe with all my heart that when I worry it is because I am not trusting in God. I am not trusting that God's way is best (which may mean I don't get the answer to my prayer that I wanted). So from now on when I start to feel that tightening in my stomach or my mind becomes consumed with how I want something to go I am going to use my sword and turn to Philippians 4:6-7. My response must be to go to prayer giving Him my hearts burden asking Him to do what is best and to help my doubting heart. I must also make a point to have a time of praise as well. When I do this I am reminded of many of God's wonderful attributes which takes my mind off of my "small" worry. This is the command that I am to obey. Verse 7 is a promise regarding God: "and the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." We give our burdens to God in prayer and He gives us His peace; it is not a fair exchange but God is so gracious to us! So for any of you worriers out there the next time you feel your heart becoming heavy with a care of this world turn to Phil. 4:6-7 and watch the power of God work in your life!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, and Amen! What an encouragement those words are. Love, Mom Mihelis :-)

Katie Barker said...

Thanks Dawn for these awesome truths. I loved your statement about it not being an even exchange - worries for peace. But you are right, our God is so gracious.
Thanks dear. I hope you write again soon.

Dawn said...

Thanks Mom and Katie. You are both very kind! Katie when will you be done with your classes?

Nate Mihelis said...

"We give our burdens to God in prayer and He gives us His peace; it is not a fair exchange but God is so gracious to us!"

Well said indeed, wifey! That's a quotable quote :-)

smlogan said...

that is an awesome passage, and i'm glad to see it bless you in this way...
i came across it last week in my own reading, and sent similar exhortations to a friend of mine just a few days ago.
grace and peace...

Paul said...

Dawn,
Carrie and I have embraced that passage many times as we begin this church planting journey. God's glorious might empowers us to endure with patience (Col. 1:11). Noah is awesome! I wish we could have seen him in person- maybe someday. I would love to catch up with Nate. My email address is pcvalentine@hotmail.com and our blog is attached to our website www.provcommunity.org. Take care and keep embracing the peace of God!
Paul

jeileenbaylor said...

Dawn,
what a constant encouragement you are. God has given you that gift! Thank you for taking the time and energy to share your heart.
love you,
jules

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder, Dawn. I'm definitely a worrier too and have to constantly fight this. I was reading in Mt 6 yesterday and was convicted about it again. I have to say my first instinct is NOT to pray, but it should be and it makes so much sense, why do we think it will do anything to keep it to ourselves??? Thanks so much, I miss your bible promises in Sunday school now, so it was nice to read one here.=)
Annalisa

Josh said...

OK Dawn, I thought that tightening in my stomach and my heart rising up inside my throat was a disease. Now I know it is sin. Thanks for the encouragement and clearification! I really needed this one this week.

Josh Jones

S said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I too am a worrier and have found great solace in this passage. Keep posting!